Who's the right agent for you?

Compare, research and shortlist now.

Compare Agents

Real estate and COVID-19 in Victoria: FAQs

Profile photo of Emily Ng
Written by

Emily is a Sydney-based real estate writer.

Learn more about our editorial guidelines.

If you’re watching the market as a potential buyer or seller, or someone currently in the process, here’s what to expect from the easing restrictions in Victoria. 

Can I still sell my house in Victoria? 

Yes, you can currently sell your property in both regional and metropolitan areas of Victoria.

Regional Victoria:

Regional Victoria restrictions eased on the 16th September 11:59pm for auctions allowing agents to hold auctions outdoors with up to 10 people. 

Face coverings are required in public unless there is a lawful excuse or exemption. 

Metro Melbourne:

From Sunday the 27th September at 11:59pm, private inspections for purchasing or leasing properties are once again permitted in Melbourne. This means that only pre-arranged private inspections will be allowed with one agent and one prospective buyer or tenant along with a dependent or partner. Inspections will be limited to 15 minutes.  

Under the eased restrictions, potential buyers and tenants can also travel further as the 5km rule does not apply when inspecting a house for rent or purchase. It should be noted however that you may only leave your home for a maximum of two hours to attend inspections. 

 Face coverings are required in public unless there is a lawful excuse or exemption.

Helpful resources:

Updates will be provided as we get more clarity. 

Should I sell now or wait? 

Whether you choose to sell depends on the urgency of your own personal circumstances. Restrictions have eased in both regional Victoria and Metropolitan Melbourne. A media release recently published by the REIV expects that the relaxing of the restrictions will result in a slow and gradual return to real estate transactions in Melbourne. 

If you are on the fence, before making any decisions, we would recommend talking to a local agent about your options. 

We’ve also created this helpful article outlining the pros and cons of selling in the current climate. 

Sanitary precautions - what do you need to do as a seller or buyer?

Since Sunday 2 August, all Victorians must wear a face covering when they leave home, no matter where they live. This means that buyers must wear face coverings when attending a private one-on-one inspection in regional Victoria.

If you do attend a private one-on-one inspection, you need to leave your contact details with the agent who meets you for potential contact tracing purposes. As always, physical distancing of at least 1.5metres should be observed. If you are feeling unwell, stay at home and get tested.  

There are some exceptions to this rule. Find out more on the Victoria State Government Health and Human Services website

Strict social distancing rules continue to apply - including staying 1.5m away from the agents and waving instead of shaking hands. Using hand sanitiser and washing hands regularly are also strongly advised.

If I live in metropolitan Melbourne, can I travel to regional Victoria to inspect a property?

At the moment, even with eased restrictions, people who live in metropolitan Melbournians cannot travel to regional Victoria to inspect properties. 

Is home construction allowed?

Home construction will be allowed to continue but with a limit of five people on-site at any time. Specialist contractors and gardening landscaping businesses are also able to recommence work as long as strict social distancing rules are abided. 

When am I allowed to leave the house?

From 5am on Monday 28 September, there is no longer a curfew in place for metropolitan Melbourne. You however still cannot travel more than 5km from your home for shopping or exercise. When you do leave your home, you must wear a face covering unless you have a lawful reason for not doing so. You can travel further than 5km for the following reasons: 

To purchase food and necessary supplies (within a 5km radius, and only one person from your household can leave for essential goods, and only once per day)

Socialising or exercise (two hours a day which can be split between sessions). 

For care and health care, including accompanying someone for essential medical care if you are a carer, guardian or necessary support person. 

Permitted work, primary and secondary education

Helpful resources: