When you sell a house, moving can be one of those hidden costs of selling you forget to think about. How much does moving cost? It depends on a number of factors, but it's a cost you don't want to forget to factor in. Depending on your circumstances, moving can be more expensive than you may imagine.
What services do removalists offer?Removalists offer a number of services, but give you the option of doing some of the work yourself. You can save money by doing some jobs, but you need to set time aside to do them.
Whether you're moving around the block or across the country, you will need some or all of these services:
- Packing boxes and tape
- Possibly temporary storage
- Loading and unloading furniture
- Packing and unpacking boxes of small items
- Cleaning your old house and your new house
- Some removalists offer special services such as pianos and other large, delicate objects.
- Some removalists can transport pets
Many removalists offer all of these services. Some of the jobs can be DIY jobs. For example, you can:
- Collect old boxes and pack your small items
- Do your own house cleaning
- Transport and unpack small boxes
- Take your pets with you
Rather than trying to move your heavy furniture yourself, you may be able to save on your moving costs by moving on a weekday rather than a weekend. Many removalists charge more for weekend removals.
How much does moving cost?Moving costs can be complicated. It will depend on a number of things:
- The services you choose
- The number of items you need to move
- The distance you're moving
- Access issues
Removalists charge by the hour, but also factor in the difficulty of the move. Rates can vary from $35 to $50 per hour per person, but other charges may apply. Transport costs, insurance and other costs may not be included in the hourly rates, so be sure to ask for the full cost of moving. Removalists will charge in 15 minute increments, so you won't have to pay for a full hour if they take 15 minutes or half an hour longer to finish the job.
"Be sure you've chosen a reputable removalist who offers insurance and has a reputation for delivering on time and not damaging belongings."If you're moving across town, you might pay:
- $100 per hour for moving small items (2 movers)
- $245 per hour for a 3-bedroom house (4 movers)
- $315 per hour for a 4-bedroom house (5 movers)
- $300 for small items
- $1470 to $1960 for a 3-bedroom house
- $2200 to $3150 for a 4-bedroom house
How much does moving interstate cost?If you're moving to another state, the costs will be much higher. Costs will vary and you will need to get quotes from removalists. Some removalists offer online calculators, but you won't get an instant quote. They will ask for your contact details and email you a quote. The initial quotes may not be accurate because they will not include extra costs.
If you want to save money, you can have a container delivered to your home and pack it yourself. One company offers these prices:
- $2600 to move from Sydney to Brisbane
- $2400 to move from Melbourne to Sydney
- $5000 to move from Sydney or Brisbane to Hobart